Chinese steamed buns with mung bean filling

∼July 3, 2014∼

I am a huge fan of steamed buns. I am not always a fan of the filling, but I love a good banh bao.
Today I woke up early so I could make banh bao with mung bean filling. It's the kind of filling, you use in moon cakes. I love banh bao and I love mung beans filling so naturally it turned out wonderful!




I am going to re-post the recipe for buns from No-Frills Recipes because who knows if the original recipes suddenly vanishes or maybe I can't find it. That would be a disaster! The recipe for mung bean filling can be found @ Christine's Recipes as I am only re-posting the buns recipe. I was trying to create the peach shape like you see when people make red lotus buns or longevity buns, but the standard shape is much prettier.

Do try it out! The flour I use is from a brand called 'Red Lotus Flour' and is a special flour with low protein thus making it a excellent flour for light airy buns. I did add a bit more water and also maybe two table spoons of vegetable oil because it was a bit too dry. Other than that, the recipe was awesome! <3
chinese steamed buns
500 gm Hong Kong flour or Pau flour
2.1/2 tsp dried yeast
100 ml lukewarm water
125 gm caster sugar
5 tsp Crisco shortening
2.1/8 tsp baking powder (I change to 1 and 1/2tsp double action baking powder)
1/4 tsp salt
110 - 115 ml water

method
1. Mix yeast with lukewarm water, set aside for 5mins.
2. Mix yeast mixture with 130g flour, gather together became soft dough and set aside for 15mins.
3. Add balance 370g flour with the rest of ingredients and soft dough (No 2), knead till dough became smooth and no sticky to hands (I just use KA mixer to knead dough until smooth).
4. Cover with damp cloth and rest for 60mins.
5. Knock down dough to expel some air, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a while. 6. Weigh out 40 gm of dough and roughly shape into a ball.
7. Fatten and roll out the dough into a circle. Spoon in filling onto the center and pleat up the sides and seal.
8. Place the pau onto a piece of greaseproof paper, on the rack for steaming. Cover with a piece of damp cloth and let rise for another 10-15 mins.
9. Steam the pau under rapidly boiling water on high heat for about 10 to 12 mins.
10. Remove from steamer and serve, hot.
11. Store in the fridge for left over pao, steam again before serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

back to top