Exploring Jiyūgaoka

∼April 15, 2012∼

Near the Main Exit
This post was supposed to be posted a couple of weeks ago when I went to Jiyūgaoka. I am posting a lot about the districts in Tokyo if you guys don't mind. If you guys happen to travel to Tokyo one day I think it would be nice to know which wards are actually more 'your type' of place. Jiyūgaoka is in the Meguro ward / Setagaya ward and it's like the other districts Nakameguro & Meguro - it's kind of posh place.

I've been there a couple of times and I can say it's quite a posh area, but that's not bad. It's a rather cosy place when you just want to be at a place where there is less people and everything happens in a more slow pace. Maybe you're tired of bumping into people? Or maybe it's just too noisy with tourists or young people? I think Jiyūgaoka is quite pleasant since you don't have to deal with those things and there are still rich opportunities to go shopping, eating and you can also relax with a book or CD since this area actually have benches to sit on. As I said it's a very cosy as I said earlier.

When I went around Jiyūgaoka, I noticed tons of restaurants, cafés and sweet shops! Also if you want to go shopping then that's possible too. Apparently they have a lot of zakka shops:
Zakka (from the Japanese 'zak-ka'(雑貨)or 'many things') is a fashion and design phenomenon that has spread from Japan throughout Asia. The term refers to everything and anything that improves your home, life and appearance.
I went into lots of those types of shops and it's actually very fun. You find many pretty things there - pretty being the keyword. What I like the most about Jiyūgaoka must be the fact that it's very relaxing there and that the shops are very lowkey and there are just so many little boutiques everywhere. Almost European maybe? 

It's so easy to get to Jiyūgaoka. You simply take the Tōkyū Tōyoko Line from Shibuya and it's maybe 10 minutes from there? I am not entirely sure but it's not that far. When you get to Jiyūgaoka, there are two exit: Main Exit and South Exit. Every time I get there I always get off at South Exit because I forget what is what. It's not a bad thing though. I'll explain why since both exits are good.

If you get to South Exit you will immediately notice the row of boutiques outside the station. The street outside the station is the Marie Clair Street and there are lots of things to see. Parallel to that street, there's another street called Green Street which is noticeable and worth mentioning because of its sakura trees and the benches in the middle of the street. On the sides we have vintage shops, big American shops, cafees and in general just shopping places. 





You can relax here on the benches which is really nice. Tokyo doesn't have that many sitting places where there are shopping places so I really like this thing about Green Street. Imagine sitting here during sakura blooming. It's really pretty. If you walk down Green Street, there is a really famous dessert theme-park in called 'Sweet Forest'. I think you need to turn left if you went to Green Street from the South Exit. 


You can easily get to the Main Exit from South Exit, but if you happen to just go off that Exit then it's good too. There are lots of things there as well. Restaurants, shops and cafees. It's just a very good and nice place to be, but remember that it might be expensive to shop there since it's a posh area. Just thought I would put that out there, but it's worth it though. 

Walking from South Exit to Main Exit
Bought my favorite type of sweet bread: melonpan
Bought from the chain MOZART: by far my fave melonpan
Tons of restaurants just lined close up to eachother
more restaurants, shops etc.
When I went to Jiyūgaoka, I really enjoyed the zakka shops and the small boutiques. At that time I was really feeling a bit tired of all the people in Shibuya and there are just like to many people. I just felt super annoyed that there were always too many people in Shibuya and when I went there around 9-ish people would be puking everywhere in Shibuya. Young people puking down the drains. I really like Jiyūgaoka because it's less noisy. You can do whatever you want. You're not forced to walk fast since there aren't like a huge hoard behind you. I still like Shibuya a lot, but Jiyūgaoka is really nice when you just feel fed up. I don't remember mentioning this, but Jiyūgaoka is the most wanted place to live by people living in Tokyo! So I am definitely not the only one who likes Jiyūgaoka.

Here's my outfit and face of that day:



The baby ripped off one of the buttons on my shirt so I changed my shirt ^^ 
I bought the clothes in F21 and a shop in Shimokitazawa. I want to go to Shimokitazawa again!!!!!!!!


Been so busy, but I really want to update something.
Okay now.. Bye! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

back to top