Japan from a foreigner's POV #1

∼March 27, 2012∼

After being in Japan for a while you begin to see quirky and fun little thing. Also you realize things that isn't really normal here! I guess it depends on the country because sometimes I do things which I find completely normal and then it's weird in Japan. Everyday I see things that confuses and fascinates me. This is me, a foreigner (gaijin) writing about random stuff that fascinates me throughout my days.

I will just speak about anything that pops into my mind. So I will just start with anything. I will do 4 things about Japan ^_^

#1 First of all, in every corner of every store there is most likely going to be a vending machine which will accept coins AND notes.


You can get hot/cold tea or coffee and other drinks as well. Besides this vending machine there will most likely also stand a trash bin. So people usually just chug their drink right there because no one seems to be drinking and walking at the same time. Maybe it's considered as a bad style or maybe the just don't want to hang on to the bottle when they are finished. I am sure about one thing though and that is... in Japan, trash bins on the streets are a rare sight! Where are all the trash bins? It's no where to be seen in main streets and so. As a foreigner I get frustrated and confused to the lack of trash bins, but it's because the trash bins are in convenience stores, big department stores, next to vending machines and also big buildings with shops. The best way if you want to throw something out, is to carry a bag yourself so you can throw trash out when you see these trash bins. In Japan you divide the trash in combustible and non-combustible so from what I've heard is that people sucked at putting things in the right bin when the trash bins were on the streets which is why they removed the bins. Japan care a lot about the environment!

#2 Another fun thing is their toilets!


I might be wrong, but Japan has very advanced toilets. A flush button is not enough here, they need to have all sorts of functions. The toilet seats are usually heated as well so you won't be startled if you sit on a toilet. Very nice touch I must say hehe. Remember to put the toilet lid down otherwise it will use more electricity heating the toilet seat.
Also now that we're talking about toilets' functions. You know most things in Japan happens electronically: you don't need to flush in the old fashioned way where you have to like push some down on the toilet itself. Here in Japan, there are usually buttons on the sides of the wall where you can choose to flush, wash your bum, wash your female parts or if you just want to hear a flushing sound. They have the 'STOP', 'BIDET', 'SPRAY', FLUSHING SOUND' and 'POWERFUL DEODORIZE'. And yes, that's right. They have a button for flushing sound haha. I tried asking around and they are all like: I have no idea. Why would you want to make a flushing noise, but not flush? It's odd, but lots of things are odd here. I do have a theory to this though and I talked about it with the family and it seems to be a good theory. You know people are very embarrassed about making too noise when they are peeing or pooping in public restroom so I figure that this might be a sound to mask those other sounds you might make when you're on the toilet. It's not only flushing sounds, but sometimes also sounds of water running and even automatic flushing sensors. If my theory is right, then Japan is very considerate.

#3 Japan care a lot about safety:


This is seen in a nursery room in Roppongi Hills.
Since I am a baby sitter I usually always look out for he nursery rooms and baby rooms and such. In Denmark we do have those, but it's no where near as good and fancy as these. We have the bottle heater, microwave, play ground, lounge sort of tables, separate nursery rooms and all that. Maybe it's just me and my locations, but I find most places very baby friendly. Maybe not pram friendly because streets and trains are a bit small, but definitely baby friendly.. Back to safety in Japan; there are always little buttons everywhere and also phone numbers in case anything you see anything suspicious. Also in trains, you'll see buttons which will alarm and stop trains in case anyone happens to fall into the lanes and such.

Moving on to the last!
#4 Before I forget this: in Japan, you have to get used to taking of your shoes. When you see this in the entrance, it means to take off your shoes when you enter:


In every Japanese home, they are probably all wearing slippers. When you walk into another person's house and you walk into a room where the floor is elevated and you need to step up, it mostly likely means: SHOES OFF! And on with the slippers. This was not hard to get used to as who wears shoes inside the house, but he slippers thing is something that you have to get used to. In temples you need to take them off too I think and also in baby play rooms you need to take them off as well. The reasons for wearing slippers could be cold tiles so slippers make it more comfortable and warm. Another reason is that earthquakes in Japan are not uncommon and if earthquakes do happen, glass/mirrors might break so it's a good idea to wear slippers so you can walk/run out of the house if necessary! I learned this from the family the other day :)

That's it for today, I think I will keep doing these short thoughts kind of posts if no one minds ^_^


Bye!!! xo

p.s: I have been wearing clothes a bit old woman style lately. I wore this yesterday! I love F21 <3 Looking a bit serious and messy. I had my hair in a bun that day ^_^



Every girl here has the same style! Brown jacket with a cutesy lacy white dress underneath. Knee socks and the milky tea colored hair. It's pretty, but literally every girl here wears the same clothes. The style is very preppish and cute, but it sort of loses the wow-effect when every girl is wearing the same. When I go around Tokyo, I would see groups of girls with the same brown jacket with big black buttons. I wonder who made this trend popular? I want to follow it, but everyone does it. No fun!

 Okay that's it! bye!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

back to top