Alanya Highlights (Part 2)

∼October 5, 2011∼

As I'm writing these Alanya-related posts, I really miss Alanya. I miss everything from the weather to just generally being away from Denmark. I had a lot of fun there and I guess it was one of those types of vacations that I like. You know where you don't hurry or stress, but just relax while still doing different things, but in a slow pace. I'm not the type of person who likes to do everything and see everything, but more like a silent observer when travelling.

***

There are many things I miss from Alanya, but there are also lots of things I don't miss.

First of all, I miss the weather and beach:

It was so nice and warm which I can't say about Denmark. I loved the beach when it was scorching hot. I don't particularly love hot weathers because I tend to become hot very easily (same goes for cold) and when I get too hot = I sweat. If anyone is the same as me, you know how I'm feeling girl. It's just uncomfortable to walk around when you feel like your sweating or you think people can see your sweating. So if you ask me whether I prefer walking in hot weather or relaxing at the beach, I definitely prefer the latter. You know, in Alanya, it was hot hot hot so I loved the beach. As I said before, I like to relax and do nothing in those hours where the sun were at its highest, but I can totally understand why people like to do everything when travelling. It could seriously get boring ass when you just sit and bake in the sun, but because it was a group trip; you need to agree on how time should be spent. I'm more in between (depending on who I'm with) - I could walk a hundred miles or do absolutely nothing. Maybe I like to do things a little more than to do nothing. Either way my attitude always insures me a great vacation because I'm easily satisfied.

***
Another thing I miss are the people:

Even though it might be fake friendliness because the people we meet are from the shops, it really warms one when people are being nice. The shops in Alanya are very similar to each other; they sell fake brands, souvenirs and sunglasses and etc. The people are so friendly in Alanya even if they are just doing it to sell their items! It's so different than in Denmark. In Denmark they don't try to chit-chat with customers and they are not very open. In Alanya they want to have contact with one and they even ask for ones facebook and their friends are more than willing to be their wingman. Denmark's services are crap next to theirs and it's weird to see, but it's not unfamiliar as I have been to Tunisia before. I like many of the people, but of course you always meet some stupid flirty ass dudes. When you meet those kinds of people I find the best thing to do, is to be a cold bitch. I'm not good at it, but my half-assed attempt seems to be good enough. BTW if you are looking for fake brands in Alanya, please buy a good quality one! It's worth it. (and I'll show you why) Also you rarely meet chicas in the shops.. only dudes...

A quick fact if you ever go to Alanya; you'll quickly find out that the city is filled with people from Europe (mostly Scandinavians).


Everything is in Danish, Swedish, Norwegian etc. For example the beach consists mostly of Caucasians. Also if you walk in the city, it's surprising to find a place where they don't speak Danish or pretend they are from Denmark. At first I thought it was humorous, but in the long run it lost its charms because I came to Alanya to see a part of Turkey! Not a Turkish part of Denmark. I didn't realize that Alanya wasn't particularly Turkish. This is something I did not like about Alanya! They pretend to be so Scandinavian because maybe they feel we like them more if they were from ones home country? Another thing is the obsession with tips! I think tips are nice, but it should be natural and only given when I felt like the service was nice. It shouldn't be because I felt forced to tip! Alanya is crazy for tips and it's uncomfortable when you can see that they are counting their tips! You're sitting there and wondering if you might have given them too little when in fact they should just be satisfied with whatever you give them.

***

Something that may or may not be a bad thing, is the lack of things to do.. Like there are not many stands of goodies, jewellery, snacks and so on. It affects the city life a bit because you only have the brand stores which gets boring after a while. Looking at the same fake brand bag or purse. They should really make more unique things or just Turkish things! Especially when we are talking about food! I LOVE FOOD SO MUCH and even though I could not eat much I could clearly see that their menus were very limited (in terms of Turkish cuisine)! It was too Scandinavian inspired if you know what I mean. We were so unlucky because one of the girls got food poisoning or salmonella. 3 out of 4 got sick and the only one who didn't was me. Thank god I have a strong immune system. So going to Alanya = be careful with germs guys!!!

A HUGE REASON TO MISS ALANYA IS
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
BJØRN

We "met" this guy who's the hotel receptionist and he is the most adorable person evar! His real name is Ali, but I call him Bjørn (so does the others) because he's sort of grizzly-looking (in the best way possible of course)! I'm kind of a dork, but I saw him looking at some elder people outside the hotel while they were playing backgammon so I figured that if I played something too, he'd come out and he did. I guess he just wanted to see how people play or in my case, how bad we played. We talked with Bjørnen and we even learned a Turkish cardgame and we played several other played card-games and -tricks. We taught him BANK which is a hilarious game, but I was hesitant at first because I wasn't sure if he liked such a "violent" game. I think he really liked it because the next day he got us more cards. I swear he's the cutest guy ever. He's not typical cute, but it's just his personality because his looks are quite manly. I miss him. Or sorta.

WHY TURKEY I ASK. WHY TURKEY. I'm not sure if it's because he's in a different country which makes him even more cuter, but yeah. If he ever comes to Denmark or we come to Izmir, I hope to meet him again! <3 Why...........*sigh* I'm such a wuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment

back to top