Portrait of Sister

∼September 2, 2011∼

My sister is special.
A sister can be seen as someone who is both ourselves and very much not ourselves - a special kind of double.  — Toni Morrison  

I'm dedicating this post to my sister who's out of the country. I'm currently drawing a portrait of my sister and so far it has turned out well. In this world (or anywhere for that matter) she's the most important person in my life, because really?
How do people make it through life without a sister?  — Sara Corpening

Besides that she just happen to be one of the first persons I drew when I was practicing my drawing. I'm putting a lot of detail in this portrait which is why it has taken me quite some days to finish. I'm still not completely satisfied, but tomorrow I'll finish it before she comes home. Surely she'd like it. If not she'll see that I have put a lot of effort into making it. She knows I'm not super skilled yet.

To show my progress, I took some pictures and also show how I usually draw my portraits. I'm not completely comfortable yet and have not found a specific routine to do portraits. I guess with time I will become more sure of how I stroke the pencils and that will give my portraits that extra spark.

***

Excuse the difference in color and the lack of details. Sister took my DSLR with her to Spain which is why I'm using my old camera. It doesn't focus as detailed as my DSLR. Also the pictures are obviously in a bit different colors because I took them on different days.


I always start with the eyes and brows and then I move on to the area around the eyes, but in general I work in small areas and slowly move to another. Nose and lips are usually what I do last because I'm very weak at drawing those.

After doing most of the face. I concentrate on contrast. Especially those black areas and I also look at highlights. Come to think of it, I maybe should do that last?

I'm maybe 70 % finished at this point. Not sure if you can see it, but the teeth is fixed, but it still need some work. Same goes for the nose :) You can see that I did of fixing of contrast in some places. eg nose and smile.

Not completely finished, but the overall progress is good. I still need to make the details in the hair and also think about highlights and dark spots. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

back to top